Monday, October 24, 2022

Lady Bryan to Lord Cromwell, 1536, on the state of the Princess Elizabeth.

Here we have a letter from young Princess Elizabeth's governess, Lady Bryan. She and a Mr. Shelton were appointed by Boleyn to care for her daughter. Still, some number of months, it would appear, after her execution, the two remained at their posts. The circumstances described suggest that the little Princess had been forgotten in the sweep of events of that year, her mother, and the King's son, Henry Fitz-Roy, Duke of Richmond, and Catherine of Aragon all having died in rapid succession and Henry having married Jane Seymour.

According to Strickland, “[Anne Boleyn's] aunt had married the head of the Shelton or Skelton family in Norfolk, and this officer at Hunsdon was probably a son of that lady,...”. The benefits the Shelton's expected from their relationship to the Queen were cruelly disappointed. Still, the child Elizabeth remained a Princess and their representative wanted to stress that by having the raggedly clothed child dine in state.


My lord, when your lordship was last here, it pleased you to say that I should not mistrust the king's grace nor your lordship, which word was more comfort to me than I can write, as God knoweth. And now it emboldens me to show you my poor mind. My lord, when my Lady Mary's grace was born, it pleased the king's grace to appoint me lady-mistress and made me a baroness. And so I have been governess to the children his Grace have had since.

Now it is so, my Lady Elizabeth is put from that degree she was afore, and what degree she is of now, I know not but by hearsay. Therefore I know not how to order her, nor myself, nor none of hers that I have the rule of—that is her women and grooms, beseeching you to be good lord to my lady, and to all hers : And that she may have some raiment; for she hath neither gown, nor kirtle (slip), nor petticoat, nor no manner of linen nor smocks, nor kerchiefs, nor rails (night dresses), nor body stitchets (corsets), nor handkerchiefs, nor sleeves, nor mufflers (mob-caps), nor biggens (night-caps). All these her Grace must take I have driven off as long as I can, that by my troth I can drive it off no longer : beseeching you, my lord, that ye will see that her Grace may have that which is needful for her, as my trust is that ye will do. Beseeching ye, mine own good lord, that I may know from you, by writing, how I shall order myself; and what is the King's grace's pleasure and yours ; that I shall do in everything ? And whatsomever it shall please the King's grace or your lordship to command me at all times, I shall fulfil it to the best of my power.

My lord, Mr. Shelton saith he is master of this house. What fashion that may be I cannot tell, for I have not seen it afore. My lord, ye be so honourable yourself, and every man reporteth that your lordship loveth honour, that I trust you will see the house honourably ordered, as it ever hath been aforetime. And if it please you that I may know what your order is, and if it be not performed I shall certify your lordship of it. For I fear me it will be hardly enough performed. But if the head [evidently Shelton] knew what honour meaneth, it will be the better ordered—if not, it will be hard to bring to pass.

My lord, Mr. Shelton would have my Lady Elizabeth to dine and sup every day at the board of estate. Alas ! my lord, it is not meet for a child of her age to keep such rule yet. I promise you, my lord, I dare not take it upon me to keep her Grace in health an' she keep that rule. For there she shall see divers meats, and fruits, and wine, which it would be hard for me to restrain her Grace from. Ye know, my lord, there is no place of correction there; and she is yet too young to correct greatly. I know well an' she be there, I shall neither bring her up to the King's grace's honour, nor hers, nor to her health, nor to my poor honesty. Wherefore, I show your lordship this my desire, beseeching you, my lord, that my lady may have a mess of meat at her own lodging, with a good dish or two that is meet for her Grace to eat of; and the reversion of the mess shall satisfy all her women, a gentleman usher, and a groom ; which be eleven persons on her side. Sure I am it will be as great profit to the King's grace this way as the other way. For if all this should be set abroad, they must have three or four messes of meat,—whereas this one mess shall suffice them all with bread and drink, according as my Lady Mary's grace had afore, and to be ordered in all things as her Grace was afore.

God knoweth my lady (Elizabeth) hath great pain with her great teeth, and they come very slowly forth, which causeth me to suffer her Grace to have her will more than I would. I trust to God an' her teeth were well graft, to have her Grace after another fashion than she is yet : so as I trust the King's grace shall have great comfort in her Grace. For she is as toward a child and as gentle of conditions, as ever I knew any in my life. Jesu preserve her Grace!

As for a day or two, at a high time, or whensoever it shall please the King's grace to have her set abroad, I trust so to endeavour me, that she shall so do as shall be to the King's honour and hers; and then after to take her ease again.

I think Mr. Shelton will not be content with this. He may not know it is my desire; but that it is the Kings pleasure and yours it should be so. Good my Lord, have my Lady's Grace, and us that be her poor servants, in your remembrance. And your Lordship shall have our hearty prayers by the grace of Jesu: who ever preserve your Lordship with long life, and as much honour as your noble heart can desire.


From Hunsdon,

with the evil hand [bad writing] of her who is your

daily bead-woman, Margt. Bryan.


I beseech you, my own good Lord, be not miscontent, that I am so bold to write thus to your Lordship. But I take God to my judge, I do it of true hart, and for my discharge. Beseeching you, accept my good mind.


To the Rt. noble and my singular

good Lord, my L. Privy Seal, be

this delivered.



Source: Mumby, Frank A. The Girlhood of Queen Elizabeth (1909). 16-18. Citing Strickland's The Life of Queen Elizabeth and Foreign and Domestic Papers, Henry VIII. Also Strype, John. Ecclesiastical Memorials (1622). I.2.255-8.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:


  • Queen Elizabeth I Truly Loved a Good Play. August 6, 2022. “The Queen, for her part, was surely looking forward to an entertaining evening watching a play.”
  • The Tudor Version of International First-Class Mail. June 11, 2022. “…they had established a system that was centuries old and the fastest available however much letters often took weeks or even months to reach their destinations.”
  • Livin’ Real at Windsor Castle with Queen Elizabeth. June 4, 2022. “Being fans of the Queen and the times, we watch television miniseries and movies draped with intrigue, lust and tapestries.”
  • Queen Elizabeth’s Jealousy could be frightening to mere mortals. February 6, 2022. “I adventured to say, as far as discretion did go, in defence of our friende; and did urge muche in behalfe of youthe and enticinge love,…”
  • What Color Were Shakespeare’s Potatoes? July 27, 2019. “By the year 1599-1600, when Shakespeare’s play would seem to have been written, the potato was available in London.  It was considered a delectable treat and an aphrodisiac.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the Queen Elizabeth I Biography Page for many other articles.
  • No comments: