Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Guzmán de Silva’s Account his First Audience with Queen Elizabeth I.

Bishop Álvaro de la Quadra, the first Spanish Ambassador to the Court of Queen Elizabeth I, surely thought the courtiers and queen were insane. The constant rumors and accusations that each made against the other — if even partially true — suggested at least that much. 

It seems likely that the English principals had settled on a strategy of using such tactics to keep him off balance and unable to gather legitimate intelligence to send back to King Philip. Perhaps even to keep each other off balance in the battle for influence over a female monarch — a matter in which none had experience. 

He was constantly having to defend his actions.  

Since writing to your Majesty on the 6th instant by Gamboa the courier, I have spoken with the Queen, who tried to hide her anger with me, but could not refrain from telling me that she was going to complain to your Majesty of me for the bad offices I did in always writing ill of her and her affairs....1 

And not without cause. Extreme cause, often enough. It was his job as representative of a Spanish King to see her converted to Catholicism or off the throne

She tried to convince me by citing particular cases, and at last said I could not deny that I had sent Dr. Turner to Flanders to try to get her turned off the throne and substitute others (meaning Lady Margaret [Douglas, Countess of Lennox]). 

At the same time, the out-of-pocket expenses to the Bishop to maintain the embassy was proving ruinous. His household had been infiltrated, a servant bribed to report on all persons and activities associated with it. He begged to his King to recall him back home. Instead his other master answered the call. Quadra died, his embassy in disarray, in mid-August of 1563. 

Luis Roman, secretary to Quadra, held down the fort for nearly a year until the arrival of the new ambassador, Diego Guzmán de Silva. Guzmán de Silva had certain advantages the Bishop lacked. He was comparatively young. Elizabeth was not above admiring a well-turned leg on a young man. He was also much more personable and received her flirtatious games in an engaging manner. 

On June 27, 1564, the young ambassador reported back to King Philip describing his first audience with the Queen. 

As I wrote to your Majesty, I arrived in London on the 18th instant, and on the following day, Monday 19th, the1 Queen sent a gentleman of her chamber to visit me and congratulate me on my arrival in this country with many compliments and courtesies. Lord Robert had previously sent and made me a similar visit which I returned by one of my people on the Tuesday thanking him for having borne me in mind. I asked through him an audience of the Queen which he obtained at once and fixed the 22nd for it to take place. 

I left London for Richmond where the court now is and disembarked near the palace, finding awaiting me on the riverbank Dudley, a relative of Lord Robert, who was in the French service, and a brother-in-law of Throgmorton who accompanied me to the palace and conducted me to the council Chamber. Presently there came to me on behalf of the Queen Lord Darnley, the son of Lady Margaret Lennox, who led me to the door of the presence chamber, where I was met by the Lord Chamberlain who entered with me and accompanied me to the Queen. She was standing in the chamber listening to a keyed instrument that was being played, and as soon as she saw me took three or four steps towards me and embraced me. Addressing me in the Italian language she said she did not know in what tongue to speak to me, and I answered her in Latin, with a brief discourse, a copy of which I send to Gonzalo Perez, as it is written in that language. I then handed her your Majesty's letter, which she took and gave to Cecil to open. When it was opened he handed it back to her, and she read it and answered me in Latin with elegance, facility and ease; appearing to be very glad of my coming… 

She urged me very much to use my best offices with your Majesty, and assure you of her good will, as she had been given to understand that this had not always been done by other ministers, and this might perhaps have caused your Majesty some annoyance without any fault of hers or any cause on her part; as she had given and would give none. With this she embraced me again and retired to her apartment telling me to talk to the lords who were there. They approached me as soon as she had retired, and Lord Robert, the earl of Pembroke, the admiral, the marquis of Northampton, the Lord Chamberlain, and secretary Cecil came separately and embraced me, congratulating me on my arrival and expressing their pleasure. They asked after your Majesty and I replied by assuring them of the favour you desired to extend to them and your affection for this country and the principal people in it. I then took my leave, the Lord Chamberlain remaining with me to conduct me to the door of the antechamber, and thence Lady Margaret's son and the brother-in-law of Throgmorton with a gentleman of the household of the Queen accompanied me to the landing-place.2 


1 Calendar of Letters and State Papers, Simancas (1892), I.244-5. 20 June [1562]. 169. Bishop Quadra to the King.

2Calendar of Letters and State Papers, Simancas (1892), I.364-5. 27 June [1564]. 253. Guzman De Silva to the King.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:


  • Queen Elizabeth I Truly Loved a Good Play. August 6, 2022. “The Queen, for her part, was surely looking forward to an entertaining evening watching a play.”
  • The Tudor Version of International First-Class Mail. June 11, 2022. “…they had established a system that was centuries old and the fastest available however much letters often took weeks or even months to reach their destinations.”
  • Livin’ Real at Windsor Castle with Queen Elizabeth. June 4, 2022. “Being fans of the Queen and the times, we watch television miniseries and movies draped with intrigue, lust and tapestries.”
  • Queen Elizabeth’s Jealousy could be frightening to mere mortals. February 6, 2022. “I adventured to say, as far as discretion did go, in defence of our friende; and did urge muche in behalfe of youthe and enticinge love,…”
  • What Color Were Shakespeare’s Potatoes? July 27, 2019. “By the year 1599-1600, when Shakespeare’s play would seem to have been written, the potato was available in London.  It was considered a delectable treat and an aphrodisiac.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the Queen Elizabeth I Biography Page for many other articles.



  • No comments: