Saturday, May 07, 2022

Applying to be a Tudor Spy.

Just how much cloak-and-dagger activity was actively pursued in the Europe of Tudor times it is difficult to say. Enough has been discovered in the informal and formal records that survive the times to suggest that there was quite a lot. The subject is so popular, however, that much more effort is put into the search than for other subjects and that may skew the data more or less.

Most students of the time know that Sir Francis Walsingham handled England’s secret agents, domestic and international, such as they were. He sat upon the Privy Council to which the Irishman John Annais sent the following offer. Annais must have had some sense that London’s prisons played a considerable role in recruiting and handling agents. His sense was correct. He offers his familiarity with the secretary of the Spanish King Phillip II and other high ranking members of his administration. As an additional enticement he provides an espionage plan that could only be attractive to his prospective employers.

That he has converted to Protestantism would be understood by all parties to be convenient. But who has ever heard of a spy worth his salt who did not tell whatever story he had to tell in order to get the job done? It would only check the box on another essential competence.

There was quite a large expatriate Irish community in Spain at the time. The nearly continuous rebellions of the Irish against the English were planned in Spain as much as Ireland. It is likely that this is how Annais came to have the connections he claimed.

Jan. ?, 1596. John Annias to the Council.

I am an Irishman, have been a prisoner two years in the Tower, and am in great misery, having no clothes except two shirts that Mr. Lieutenant has given me; nevertheless I have a gift of God, even patience in affliction. The cause of my faults was concerning religion, but by perusing the Bible for a year, I am fully reformed, and content to venture my life to do God and Her Majesty service, by discovering all those in England who take part with the King of Spain against her.

All the King's business, whether secret or known, passes the Secretary's hands, and is registered in a book which remains in the Scritoria office, in the Secretary's house, and another register book is at Madrid, and all the relations are sent by post to Spain. I know well Diego Geffrey the under secretary, who keeps the key of the office at Brussels. In these register books are entered all the English noblemen and gentlemen, and their estates ; what number of men they can make up; what money they have received of the King; and what has been bestowed upon their children or kinsmen, at Rome, Rheims, Lorraine, or Douay; who has been put to death for persecution; who pay tribute to the Queen, and what satisfaction the King makes them thereof. I have often seen Holt and Gordon the Scot, after secret conference with the Secretary, confer in the Scritoria office with these registers, either to write up more names converted by them, or to cross out such as be dead or have been put to death. I will venture my life to bring this book to you, if you will publicly banish me out of the realm with disgrace, and so that it might be known there; I would then write to Conde Fuentes for a warrant to come and go safely, and to confer secretly with him about great services for the King; I would plead long service to the King, two years' imprisonment in the Tower, and banishment for the Catholic cause; the providing six tall mariners, from the Queen's ships; my experience in making fireworks, &c. and I would offer, with these mariners and a small pinnace, to burn 20 of the Queen's best ships.

Knowing that the King has been often deceived of money for secret services, I would offer to do all at my own charge, for an after reward. I will then make acquaintance in the Scritoria office, cast an eye where the register book lies, and having a handful of dough about me, will clap the key of the office door into it, so that the print may remain, and then cause a key to be made of the same. Taking leave of his excellency beforehand, and providing a rope double the height of the wall, so that I may draw the rope back, I will provide a supper for this under secretary, with a dozen persons, music, &c., and about 7 o'clock, will go with a black lantern under my cloak, open the office, find the book, then come to entertain the company, and after every man has gone to rest, will take the ready way over the walls with the rope, and go all night either the way to Liege, Flushing, or Calais, and thus bring the book, and nobody will be able to betray me.

I have two brothers, one of whom is married, but I have not heard from them for eight years; I will leave the single one, if living, as hostage for myself. I do not make this offer from a love of liberty, but to make amends for my faults; I have discovered to Mr. Lieutenant how I might escape and go, unknown to my keeper. This service must be done in the long nights, for various reasons, and if you will allow me to go to church to serve God, I will make means to relieve my wants myself.

 

We will hear about John Annias again. As so often, regarding life in the shadows, the reference will be vague and evocative. The trail he leaves behind will suggest a peculiar world only traces of which are seen — often even by those who inhabit it.  

 

 

Source: Calendar of State Papers, Domestic Series,… Elizabeth (1595-97). 169-70.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • Gossip as History: All of London abuzz with Mistress Anne’s big wedding. April 22, 2022. “Mrs. Anne Russel went from Court upon Monday last, with 18 Coaches, the like hath not bene seen  amongest the Maydes.”
  • Queen Elizabeth Orders Nightgowns for Herself and Leicester. November 7, 2021. “Some people may perhaps feel inclined to draw large conclusions from it. For ourselves, we do not think it warrants anything of the kind.”
  • To Where Did Queen Elizabeth I Disappear in August 1564? July 18, 2021. “Leicestershire was in the opposite direction from London. Nichols could discover no more.”
  • Queen Elizabeth I’s Heart and the French Ambassador.  April 3, 2019.  “…the Queen of England, with the permission of her physicians, has been able to come out of her private chamber, she has permitted me… to see her…”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

  • No comments: