Saturday, July 27, 2024

A Plot to Spring the Duke of Norfolk and Kill the Queen (1571).

In the year 1571, the Duke of Norfolk lay in The Tower awaiting his fate for planning to marry the imprisoned Mary, Queen of Scots, and to replace Queen Elizabeth as the monarch of England. While Elizabeth had been queen for over ten years already, still many from among her male subjects were intent to have a Catholic king (or, at least,
 consort) to rule over them.

A number of Norfolk's followers were intently putting together the persons and plans to rescue the Duke before he could be executed. One Edmund Mathers recruited one Kenelme Berney for one such endeavor. Mathers spoke freely, in the same conversastions, of killing Elizabeth and her closest advisors.

Upon being discovered, Berney was questioned. The following is the second of the questions he was asked.1


2. Item. By how manye Wayes and Meanes did you perceve that he deſined or imagined her Majeſtie's' Death; and what Speaches did you uſe to him touchinge the Matters aforſed?


2. Item. The Wayes and Meanes, I perceyved, he deſyered and went about to conſpire her Majeftie's Deathe, one was, when he told me, That no Wayes ther war to fave the Duke but one, which was that he ment to have the Quene kylled; one other was, that the Commonwelthe was governed at her Apoyntment by populer Men, as he termed them; one other, by ſuche vyle Words as he uſed of her Majeſtie, ſayeinge, She was not worthye to governe, and perſwading me, that I ſhould never gett anye thinge, except the State were changed; at whiche he aſked me, Yf I would joyne with him and others? not nameinge anye one; and I anſwered, I would be glad to ſe the Daye.

By how many ways and means did you perceive that he designed or imagined her Majesty's death; and what speeches did you use to him touching the matters aforesaid?



The ways and means, I perceived, he desired and went about to conspire Her Majesty's death, one was, when he told me, That no ways there were to save the Duke but one, which was that he meant to have the Queen killed; one other was, that the Commonwealth was governed at her appointment by popular men, as he termed them; one other, by such vile words as he used of her Majesty, saying, she was not worthy to govern, and persuading me, that I should never get anything, except the state were changed; at which he asked me, if I would join with him and others? not naming anyone; and I answered, I would be glad to see the day.



So you ſhall, ſooner than you Think yt ſhall; at which Tyme do as I and others weyll do, and you ſhall have a Houſe was never built for you; without which, ſaythe he, ſuche poore Gentlemen as you be ſhall never gett anye thinge; for our tryme Myſtres, meaninge the Quene's Majeſtie, wyll kepe all for her ſelfe and her Carpett-Knyght. Thes, with ſuche other Words uſed unto me, made me to thinke that he hated her Majeſtie, and the Lords of her Counſell, Whereto, after he had perſwaded me, that the State being altered, I ſhould have ſome Levenge, I was verye attentyve, and promeſſed to do my Endevoyre, and wyſshed the Nobylitie would goo together and fall out. The Tyme of thes Matters moved by Mather, was this Chriſtmas, and before, three or foure Dayes, and not paſſinge, ſythens the fyrſt Tyme of his fyrſt Attempt; and yt grewe onelys by Occaſyn of the Duke's Arraynement, and of the Deſyre he had to do him good, ayther by kyllinge the Quene's Highnes, yf the ſhort. Tyme would have ſuffred yt, or els by reſqueinge him from the Gard, at ſuche Tyme as he ſhould come to westmynſter to be arreyghned, or at his Executyon.

So you shall, sooner than you think it shall; at which time do as I and others will do, and you shall have a house was never built for you; without which, saith he, such poor gentlemen as you be shall never get anything; for our trim mistress, meaning the Queen's Majesty, will keep all for herself and her carpet-knight. These, with such other words used unto me, made me to think that he hated her Majesty, and the Lords of her Counsel, whereto, after he had persuaded me, that the State being altered, I should have some Levenge, I was very attentive, and promised to do my endeavor, and wished the nobility would go together and fall out. The time of these matters moved by Mather, was this Christmas, and before, three or four days, and not passing, sithens the first time of his first attempt; and it grew unless by occasion of the Duke's arraignment, and of the desire he had to do him good, either by killing the Queen's Highness, if the short time would have suffered it, or else by rescuing him from the guard, at such time as he should come to Westminster to be arraigned, or at his execution.

Among the allies of the Duke of Norfolk who were plotting his escape, we are told, was Edward de Vere, the 17th Earl of Oxford.

Norfolk was the head of the Howard-Vere faction at court. They opposed the Earl of Leicester's faction. The tale of Norfolk's execution and Leicester's part in bringing it about was told in an anonymous book called Leicester's Commonwealth and in Vere's Agamemnon and Ulysses (1584)2. In the play, Leicester (Achilles) heinously cheats against Norfolk (Hector) in single combat and sets his numerous minions upon him. Vere (Troilus, the second ranking Trojan) and the rest of the Trojans (Howard-Vere faction) mourn the defeat of their clan. Some 15 years later the play was incorporated into Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida (1599).



1 Murdin, William. State Papers... relating to the Reign of Elizabeth I, 1571-1596 (1759). 203-4.

2 See my variorum edition of Ulysses and Agamemnon (1584). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JD7KM1T



Also at Virtual Grub Street:



No comments: