Monday, October 30, 2023

John Harington to Sir Hugh Portman. [May or June] 1598. On Baron Burghley at Bath.

William Cecil, the Baron Burghley, would have been a mere few months from death at the time of this letter. He must have thought the waters at Bath could do him particular good as his own letters indicate that he traveled from his London house, on the Strand, to his beloved estate of Theobalds, in early June of 1598. He would have gone many miles out of his way in order to visit the waters there.

There is the impression that he may have traveled to a few places that he dearly loved knowing that he hadn't much longer in which to do so. Burghley returned to his house on the Strand in July, 1598, and died there on August 4th.

The very brief portrait Harington provides here suggests that Burghley took comfort to take the waters beside a friend, also nearing the end, talking about things eternal. Seeing a young man he'd known for some time looking too impressed by their talk on what could only seem to him an ultimate subject, the old Treasurer smiled.

My good Friend,

I have been to visit at the house which my Lord Treasurer dothe occupy at the Bathe, and found him and another cripple together, my cosen Sir John Harington, of Exton; when it greeved me to see so much discretion, wisdom, and learning in peril of death. My lord doth seem dead on one side, and my cosen on the other, though both in their health were ever on one side. It gave me some comfort to hear

their religious discourse, and how each did despise his own malady and hold death in derision, because both did not despair of life eternal. The Treasurer asked me if I had any ailment, and smiled to see me look gravely at their serious talk. I wished them all benefit, and that the waters might wash away all their deadness, save that to iniquity, which would still hold them both unto death. My cosen said, "you are not dead to good works, for even now this churche doth witness of your labour to restore it to its

ancient beauty." In good sooth, we want good men who build unto the Lord to forward this work; and many indeed have passed assurance of such helpe. Her Highness doth much lament her good servant's malady; my Lady Arundel came with earnest suit from courty touching the treasurer's state, and did bring an excellent cordial for his stomach, which the Queene did give her in charge; and said, "that she did intreat heav'n daily for his longer life:—else would her people, nay herself, stand in need of cordials too." If I may venture thus much, it seemeth as though this good man had little else to do on earth than die. I have not got what you do so much covet from me, nor can I hitherto obtain an audience

from the bishop on such account; but you shall hear further in good time, as my own business doth yet stand unmoved, and giveth me matter of disquiet. The Lord Treasurer's distemper doth marvelously trouble the Queen, who saith, "that her comfort hath been in her people's happiness, and their happiness in his discretion:" neither can we find, in ancient record, such wisdom in a Prince to discern a servant's ability, nor such integrity to reward and honour a Prince's choice — Quando ullum inveniat parem?1 I reste in good hope of seeing your lady, and such branches of olive as may adorn your table, before Christmas next; and may they bring you more peace than the branches which adorn your neighbour Hatton's brows; but — levius sit patientia, et conjugem corrigere est nefas.2

John Harington.

What other news doth happen I will bear with me at my coming.3

Throughout his journey to the baths and Theobalds Burghley received status reports via courier. He was still the Lord Treasurer and the de facto Principal Secretary to the Queen though his son Robert managed all but the most important matters of each office. As little as two weeks before the old  Treasurer's death he was activity fulfilling those duties. He served queen and country to the end.



1“When will any such come again?”

2“Let him bear it patiently. It is unwise to correct a wife.” Nugae antique, I.238n. “Qu. whether this may allude to Sir Henry Coke, the second husband of Lady Hatton? who is introduced, in Winwood's Memorials, as refusing "to let her Mr. Attorney lye either with her, or within her chamber, till he have performed all covenants made to her at her marriage”. vol. ii. p. 40.

3 Nugae antiquae... Original Papers, In Prose and Verse; Written During the Reigns of Henry VIII. Edward VI. Queen Mary, Elizabeth, And King James: by Sir John Harington, Knt. (1804), I.236-8.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

No comments: