Saturday, September 02, 2023

The Beginning of the End for the Bishop of Aquila.

 Alvaro de la Quadra, Bishop of Aquila was sent to replace a predecessor who suddenly found himself in over his head with the Court of the new Queen Elizabeth I. He is described as “Supple, patient, insinuating and unscrupulous,” by Martin Hume, “'a clever and crafty old fox,' as Bishop Jewel calls him, he was the type of the ecclesiastical diplomatist that especially suited Philip's cautious, stealthy methods, at a time when religion and politics were almost interchangeable words” Nevertheless, after five years Quadra would be run ragged, defamed, betrayed by his servants, and had long begged to be relieved. He finally received permission to return... as a corpse with a bankrupt estate.



Alvaro de la Quadra, Bishop of Aquila, to the Count de Feria. December 27, 1559.


By what I write to Madame (the duchess of Parma) your Lordship will see what a pretty business it is to have to treat with this woman, who I think must have a hundred thousand devils in her body, notwithstanding that she is for ever telling me that she yearns to be a nun and to pass her time in a cell praying. I have heard great things of a sort that cannot be written about and you will understand what they must be by that. Count 

Helfenstein should depart at once and the matter decided one way or the other as things have reached a point that will not allow us to avoid jumping the ditch for fear of falling in. I do not hesitate to inform you that I am told by a certain person that if it be necessary to send troops from Flanders to this country there is no place so easily invaded as Lynn, in the county of Norfolk, which has a port and shore whence a force can be very easily thrown two miles in rear of the town in a strong position. I am told this by an experienced soldier who knows the country well and who fears the French may get in, having the coast of Holland at hand whence they can easily run over on a single tack. From this place to Bristol they say there is a perfect line of rivers and mountains dividing the land from the Cornish promontory to Lynn, the best part of the country.

It appears still possible that Mr. Sidney may go as ambassador to Spain. He tells me that if it be only to go thither, arrange this marriage and return, he would go with pleasure, but he does not want to go and stay there and take his wife without whom he will not go. He has become reconciled with Master Robert [Dudley], with whom he had recently been on very bad terms. I imagine Robert wishes to make much of your Lordship through him as he is persuaded he could not do so well through me, knowing that I am anything but pleased with his dissimulation.

They tell me the Queen is displeased that some of them are greatly caressing a nephew of Cardinal Pole, uncle of her brother (sic) and she suspects all of those who surround him and particularly Lord Hastings ; but let her take what care .she may, she cannot prevent the river overflowing its banks one of these days, and, on my faith, I think that her own co-religionists may bring this about before the Catholics, For the love of God I pray your Lordship not to forget affairs here, for I see what good opportunities are presenting themselves for remedying the evil.


London, 27th December 1559.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:



No comments: