Sunday, June 18, 2023

Edmund Grindal, Bishop of London, to William Cecil, October 15, 1563.

The Baron Burghley was still merely William Cecil, first secretary to Queen Elizabeth I in 1563 when he received the following letter from Edmund Grindal, Bishop of London. He had a long life ahead in which he ceaselessly applied himself to administration of the domestic and foreign policy of England. The positions he had held since serving as private secretary to the Duke of Somerset and first secretary to the young Edward VI had involved constant sitting. To this he attributed his gout and accompanying weakness in legs which in his youth had been as strong as any.

The following letter was written as early as October of 1563, when he was only 43 years old. This kind of discussion between the educated classes in England often tells us a great deal about the medical practice of the day and the symptoms from which the subject was actually suffering. It turns out that it is virtually certain that Cecil was suffering from neither the gout nor the stone. His frequent retirements from the Royal Court to rest and recuperate on one or another of his estates follow a very recognizable pattern. The disease, however, would not be discovered for another 100 years.

SALUTEM in Christo Servatore. As I am glad to hear that your disease diminisheth, so I am sorry it hangeth on you so long. It is said your pain is in your back: I will be bold to communicate unto you my conjecture of the cause thereof, and of the means to avoid the like hereafter; not by any art of physic, but upon some experience of mine own body in the like case. When I came first from beyond seas, I felt great heat in my back, and feared the stone : I cut my doublets, my petticoats, in the back; I went ungirt; I could not abide to sit on a cushion, &c. In continuance, I strived so to cool my back, that I fell into the contrary, so that a small cold taken on that part by going single, and specially by riding single, to this day casteth me into a stitch; which beginneth under the point of one shoulder or both, and suddenly claspeth on the small of my back, and there remaineth fifteen or twenty days. I do remember one morning, a year and more agone, ye shewed me your doublets cut and voided in the back, and that ye feared the stone. I am surely persuaded, that by resisting heat (which might come then by some accident) ye have cooled your back too much, ridden and gone single, and so have brought those parts to great imbecility. Surely, I think, the only way to avoid it hereafter is to go warm, and namely on your back; but specially when ye ride, though it be in the midst of summer. I begin every day to like better and better Sir Rich. Sackvill's physic, with store of clothes and furs. Frigus nunquam sensi was a piece of his physic that said, Centum annis vixi. I have sent you herewith a glass, sealed Sigillo Hermetis, of Thomas Gybson's Balsam. It is to be used outwardly, as an ointment. I dare not advise you to use it without the counsel of the physicians, for it is very hot; but it may stand by you, for it is very good in aches that come of cold causes. I have seen the proof of it. Thus much of physic, whereof all sick men love to hear, be it never so slender.

I thank you that in your most pain ye remembered to ease me of one guest.1 My Lord of Ely received him on Sunday last past, and writeth that he is welcome for their sakes that send him, otherwise not. I signified to Dr Watson, that, if he had tarried, I was willing to have conferred with him in divers points; but he answereth, that he will not enter in conference with no man; the reason is, he will not incur penalties of laws. I said only one law was penal2 that might be forborne; but he persisted in his opinion. I hear said, Mr Fecknam is not so precise, but could be contented to confer. The Bishop of Winton, when he was with me, said that if he should have any, he could best deal with Fecknam; for in king Edward s days he travailed with Fecknam in the tower, and brought him to subscribe to all things, saving the presence, and one or two more articles. Ye might do very well (in my opinion) to ease the poor Dean of Westminster, and send the other also to some other bishop, as Sarum, or Chichester, &c. It is more reason that we bishops should be troubled with them than the poor dean. Thus ceasing, I wish you in God ever well to fare. From Fulham,

15 Oct. 1563.

Yours in Christ,

EDM. LONDON.

I pray you hurt not your health with too much cogitation of evil successes of things, which are in God s hands, and without our compass. He knoweth how to direct them to the best end.


To the honourable Sir William

Cecil, Knight, Secretary to

the Queen s Majesty.3



1  Original note: “Watson, late bishop of Lincoln, was for some time under restraint in Grindal s house. In the month of October he was, by order of council, transferred to the care of Cox, bishop of Ely.”

2  Original note: “For denying the queen s supremacy.”

3  Nicholson, William. The Remains of Edmund Grindal, D.D. Successively Bishop of London, and Archbishop of York and Canterbury (1843). 280-2. Citing Lansdown MS. 6. No. 77.



Also at Virtual Grub Street:


No comments: