Saturday, March 25, 2023

The Day After Queen Elizabeth I Died.

Robert Cecil, First Secretary to Queen Elizabeth, had been preparing for the day of her demise. She had refused to name an heir and this left him with a great deal to do when the day should come. He had been corresponding with James VI, the King of Scotland for over more than two years in order to prepare for the transition.

As the event was clearly going to occur in a matter of days or weeks he ordered vagabonds, radical catholics and dissenters shipped to the continent where they could be properly occupied trying to figure out how to make their way back into England. He placed Arabella Stuart, who might challenge James's precedence, under house arrest.

As we can see below, the machinery of the government immediately sprang into action. Proclamations had already been prapred and would be read over the following day. Adventurers, like Robert Cary, verified the passing of the Queen and raced to be the first to inform James that she was gone. The first messenger to give him the news might expect to receive a rich reward and place of favor at Court.


I went to my lodging, and left word with one in the Cofferer's chamber to call me, if that night it was thought she would die, and gave the porter an angel to let me in at any time when I called. Between one and two of the clock on Thursday morning, he that I left in the Cofferer's chamber brought me word the Queen was dead. I rose and made all the haste to the gate to get in. There I was answered, I could not enter ; the Lords of the Council having been with him, and commanded him that none should go in or out, but by warrant from them. At the very instant, one of the Council (the Comptroller) asked whether I was at the gate. I said yes. He said to me, if I pleased he would let me in. I desired to know how the Queen did. He answered, " Pretty well." I bade him good night. He replied, and said, " Sir, if you will come in, I will give you my word and credit you shall go out again at your own pleasure." Upon his word I entered the gate, and came up to the Cofferer's chamber, where I found all the ladies weeping bitterly. He led me from thence to the privy chamber, where all the Council was assembled ; there I was caught hold of, and assured I should not go for Scotland, till their pleasures were farther known. I told them I came of purpose to that end. From thence they all went to the Secretary's chamber, and as they went they gave a special command to the porters that none should go out of the gates but such servants as they should send to prepare their coaches and horses for London.

There was I left in the midst of the court to think my own thoughts till they had done counsel. I went to my brother's chamber1, who was in bed, having been over-watched many nights before. I got him up with all speed, and when the Council's men were going out of the gate, my brother thrust to the gate. The porter knowing him to be a great officer, let him out. I pressed after him, and was stayed by the porter. My brother said angrily to the porter, " Let him out, I will answer for him." Whereupon I was suffered to pass, which I was not a little glad of.

I got to horse, and rode to the Knight Marshal's lodging by Charing Cross, and there stayed till the Lords came to Whitehall Garden. I stayed there till it was nine o'clock in the morning, and hearing that all the Lords were in the old orchard at Whitehall, I sent the Marshal to tell them that I had stayed all that while to know their pleasures, and that I would attend them if they would command me any service. They were very glad when they heard I was not gone, and desired the Marshal to send for me, and I should with all speed be despatched for Scotland.2


While Carey was indeed first to inform James he was disappointed only to receive a minor appointment. In time, however, he did receive an Earldom.


At the Court, where it then resided, in Richmond, a proclamation was immediately read. It have been prepared at leaqst for a number of days, probably weeks. Another more public proclamation was made at the great market at Cheapside. The event was by invitation, however, the general public apparently yet to be informed.

The lords aforesaid (knowing above all things delayes to bee most dangerous) within six houres after her Highnesse death, made Proclamation at the Court Gates in the open assemblie, signifying and assuring the people her Majesty was dead, and that the right of succession was wholly in JAMEs the King of Scots, now justly intituled unto the Crowne of England. And the same made knowne unto all his loving subjects by this Proclamation, by the name of “James the First, King of England, Scotland, France, and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, &c." And about eleven of the clocke the same forenoone, at the West side of the High Crosse in Cheape-side, where were assembled the most parte of the English Princes, Peeres, divers principall Prelates, and extraordinary and unexpected numbers of gallant Knights, and grave Gentlemen of note well mounted, besides the huge number of common persons; all which, with great reverence, gave attention unto the Proclamation, being most distinctly and audibly read by Mr. Secretary Cecill, at the end thereof with one consent cryed alowd, “God save King James,” being not a little glad to see their long feared danger so cleerely prevented. After that, the Lords went unto Maister Sheriffe Pemberton's house, and there their wisedomes consulting what was further to be done in so waghtie businesse, sent three Heraulds and a Trumpetter to proclaime the same within the Tower, at the hearing whereof as well Prysoners as others rejoyced, namely, the Earle of Southampton, in whom all signes of great gladnesse appeared; great care and diligence was used to give notice of this happie and peaceable proceeding unto Justices of Counties, Rulers of Townes and Cities, forthwith to doe the like; yet, notwith standing the swift expedition of this publication, there were divers Gentlemen had formed secret intelligence, and in divers places' proclaimed the King's right without warrant, but not without welcome”.3

With Elizabeth's last breath, James I had become King of England.



1 George Carey, Baron Hunsdon. Lord Chamberlain.

2 Memoirs Of Robert Cary, Earl Of Monmouth (1905). 74-6.

3 Nichols, John. The Progresses, Processions, and Magnificent Festivities, of King James The First (1828). I.25-6. Citing Stow's Chronicle, Howe continuation.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:


No comments: