Sunday, March 10, 2024

Opportunity Hovers Around A Dying Queen: 1602-3.

The Carey boys were dashing young cavaliers in the opening years of the 17th century. John, the elder, who would soon become the 3rd Baron Hunsdon. For the moment he was the Governor of the vital strategic fortress town of Berwick on the Scottish border. His younger brother, Robert, was a favorite of Queen Elizabeth I and had been appointed Warden of the Middle March.

Robert tells us that he decided to visit the Royal Court in London, late in 1602, but he was far too well connected and far too much an opportunist not to have chosen the time in light of news about the queen's declining health. It is more than a little likely that the decision to leave his post in the hands of a lieutenant came after the two brothers consulted on the family interests involved. John would follow upon a signal from Robert that matters called for both of them to be present in London where all interests were resolved in England.

History may thank those interests, then, for one of the more informative records of the last days of the queen.

After that all things were quieted, and the border in safety, towards the end of five years that I had been Warden there, having little to do I resolved upon a journey to court, to see my friends and renew my acquaintance there. I took my journey about the end of the year. When I came to court I found the Queen ill disposed, and she kept her inner lodging; yet she, hearing of my arrival, sent for me. I found her in one of her withdrawing chambers, sitting low upon her cushions. She called me to her, I kissed her hand, and told her it was my chiefest happiness to see her in safety and in health, which I wished might long continue. She took me by the hand, and wrung it hard, and said, " No, Robin, I am not well," and then discoursed with me of her indisposition, and that her heart had been sad and heavy for ten or twelve days, and in her discourse she fetched not so few as forty or fifty great sighs. I was grieved at the first to see her in this plight; for in all my lifetime before I never knew her fetch a sigh, but when the Queen of Scots was beheaded. Then upon my knowledge she shed many tears and sighs, manifesting her innocence that she never gave consent to the death of that Queen.

I used the best words I could to persuade her from this melancholy humour; but I found by her it was too deep rooted in her heart, and hardly to be removed. This was upon a Saturday night, and she gave command that the great closet should be prepared for her to go to chapel the next morning. The next day, all things being in a readiness, we long expected her coming. After eleven o'clock, one of the grooms came out and bade make ready for the private closet, she would not go to the great. There we stayed long for her coming, but at the last she had cushions laid for her in the privy chamber hard by the closet door, and there she heard service. From that day forwards she grew worse and worse. She remained upon her cushions four days and nights at the least. All about her could not persuade her either to take any sustenance or go to bed.

I, hearing that neither the physicians nor none about her could persuade her to take any course for her safety, feared her death would soon after ensue. I could not but think in what a wretched estate I should be left, most of my livelihood depending on her life. And hereupon I bethought myself with what grace and favour I was ever received by the King of Scots, whensoever I was sent to him. I did assure myself it was neither unjust nor unhonest for me to do for myself, if God at that time should call her to his mercy. Hereupon I wrote to the King of Scots (knowing him to be the right heir to the crown of England) and certified him in what state her Majesty was. I desired him not to stir from Edinburgh; if of that sickness she should die, I would be the first man that should bring him news of it.1

Perhaps the Carey brothers were the first to move into position to grab the golden ring. Some would chose to stay out of London, and the Court, and depend upon the main players to protect their interests, for the circumstances could erupt in conflicts of every kind.

For just one potential catastrophe, among many, Arabella Stuart, a Catholic with rights to succession that might challenge the Scottish king, was rumored to have married and to have communicated with the Pope. Neither was true. Regardless, she remained under effective “house arrest” in the care of her grandmother, the Dowager Countess of Shrewsbury.

Being 27 years of age, and kept in isolation from all but a very few persons approved by her grandmother, Arabella could only struggle to get free. The struggle could only be interpreted as rebellion — rebellion that could arrive, at some point, in her being advised, by very interested parties, who hovered waiting at a distance, to claim the throne. A throne to which there were numerous claimants — especially one being Catholic — could well mean a bloody civil war.



1 Powell, G. H. The Memoirs of Robert Carey Earl of Monmouth (1905). 70-1.



Also at Virtual Grub Street:

No comments: